Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
- Long green peppers (Bhajji milagai) - 8 no's
- Thick jaggery extract - 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Thick tamarind extract - 3/4 to 1 cup
- Salt - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Gingelly oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Roasted fenugreek powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dhania powder - 1 to 2 tsp
- Asafoetida powder - 1 tsp
- Rock sugar - few pieces
- Wash & pat dry chillies; discard stems.
- Make random slits all around the chillies using a sharp knife.
- Steam cook for about 10 to 15 min; switch off gas; allow to cool.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds & let it splutter.
- Add roasted fenugreek powder, dhania powder, asafoetida powder; saute for few sec.
- Add the steamed chillies & saute for 3 min.
- Add the jaggery extract & cook until the mixture becomes glossy & fairly thick.
- Now add the thick tamarind extract, salt & continue to cook on low flame for about 10 min.
- Once done the hot pepper sauce appears to be fairly thick or semi solid in consistency.
- The hot, sweet, sour & salt taste should be well balanced for the exact exotic taste.
- Garnish with few rock sugar candies.
- Tastes best with toasted bread, adai, chapathis, rotis, phulkas & parathas.
- Adjust sweet, salt & sour taste as per requirement.
- If preferred extra hot, add one or two tsp of red chilly powder.