Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 6 to 8 min
- Cooking butter (unsalted) - 3 tbsp
- Refined flour / Maida - 3 tbsp
- Whole milk - 4 cups
- Black pepper powder - 1/2 to 1 tsp (or) as reqd
- Nutmeg powder (optional) - 1/4 tsp
- One half of medium sized onion (peeled, washed & cut in to two) - studded with 6 to 7 cloves & 2 bay leaves
- Salt - to taste
- Heat four cups of milk; cool to become luke warm; set aside.
- Heat a non stick pan in low flame.
- Add three tablespoons of butter; stir until it melts.
- Add refined flour & stir continuously until all the dry flour gets folded in the butter completely; do not brown the butter-flour mixture.
- Cook stirring continuously in low flame for about 3 to 4 min until raw smell of the flour disappears.
- Stir in the luke warm milk little by little at a time; keep on stirring continuously ensuring no lumps are formed.
- Add salt, black pepper powder, nutmeg powder (optional) & mix well.
- Adjust ingredients as per taste.
- Repeat the same process until whole of the luke warm milk is added to the butter-flour mixture.
- Cook the milk-butter-flour mixture stirring continuously for about 3 to 4 min until it becomes fairly thick.
- Switch off gas; empty contents to a serving bowl; add in one half of the onion studded with cloves & bay leaves.
- Let the onion get dunked in the sauce; close with lid & set aside for the flavors to blend in completely.
- Discard onion just before serving.