Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 15 min
- Basmati rice / Raw rice - 1 cup
- Grated green mango - 1/2 to 3/4 cup (quantity depends on the sourness)
- Sesame oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Channa dhal - 1/2 tbsp
- Broken urad dhal - 1/2 tbsp
- Yellow split moong dhal - 1/2 tbsp
- Roasted & peeled peanuts - 1/4 cup
- Red chillies (broken) - 5 to 6
- Curry leaves - 8 to 10
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Wash, peel skin and grate the unripe mango.
- Cook the rice maintaining the grainy texture; do not cook mushy.
- Heat sesame oil in a frying pan in medium heat.
- Adjust flame to low, add all the tempering ingredients in the above order one by one & saute until pale golden brown.
- Switch off gas, add the grated mango & saute for just a min or two until the raw smell disappears.
- Add cooked rice & mix well using a slotted ladle/skimmer.
- Serve mango rice with papad.