Prep Time: 15 min (excluding soaking time of rice & bitter gourd)
Cooking Time: 35 min
- Basmati rice - 1 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Green cardamom pods - 5
- Black cardamom - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 1 inch piece
- Cloves - 4
- Mace - 1
- Star anise - 1
- Bay leaves - 3
- Thick coconut milk - 2 tbsp
- Water - 3 cups + 1 3/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Bitter gourd (lightly scraped & sliced) - 2 medium sized
- Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
- Peanuts - 2 tbsp
- Raisins - 2 tbsp
- Red chillies (deseeded) - 10
- Onion (sliced) - 1 large sized
- Carrot (grated) - 1/2 cup
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Sambhar powder - 1 tsp
- Kitchen king masala - 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - 4 tbsp
- Dilute tamarind extract - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Wash basmati rice and soak in 3 cups of water along with turmeric powder for half an hour.
- Heat ghee in wok, add all the spices & saute for few min.
- Add the drained rice and stir fry until dry.
- Transfer contents to a vessel, add salt, thick coconut milk, one three by four cups of water; stir well.
- Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles; give a standing time to open lid.
- Spread rice in a wide plate & allow to cool.
- Wash and lightly scrape the outer surface of bitter gourd; slit vertically in to two halves, deseed and slice in to thin strips.
- Add a tbsp of salt, quarter cup of tamarind extract, mix well, cover with lid; set aside for half an hour.
- Squeeze bitter gourd slices and discard excess water.
- Heat sesame oil in wok on medium flame; add peanuts, raisins, red chillies; saute for few min.
- Add onions and saute until translucent; add grated carrots; stir fry for a min or two.
- Add bitter gourd slices; stir fry in high flame for 3 min.
- Add cumin powder, sambhar powder, kitchen king masala, red chilly powder, one tsp salt; saute for another 3 min.
- Add four tbsp of brown sugar, quarter cup of tamarind extract; stir fry for another 3 to 5 min; check in between to adjust the quantity of salt.
- Stir fry bitter gourd mixture until golden brown and crisp; add cooled rice and mix well.
- Check once again to adjust the quantity of salt, brown sugar & tanginess.
- Serve hot bitter gourd pulao with pappad and raita of your choice.