Soaking Time: 6 hrs
Fermentation Time: Overnight
Grinding Equipment: Indian Wet Grinder
- Raw rice - 4 cups
- Whole urad dhal - 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Ripe Yelakki bananas - 3
- Fresh grated coconut - 1 full coconut
- Coconut water - water of one full coconut
- Sugar - 4 tbsp
- Salt - 3 tsp
- Wash rice well in water for about 3 to 5 times, drain & soak for 6 hrs.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water for 6 hrs.
- Wash whole urad dhal once in water & soak just an hour before grinding.
- Grind all the ingredients to a smooth paste in the wet grinder.
- Once done transfer the batter to a container.
- Add a cup of water to the left out batter in the wet grinder, run the grinder and collect the residual water.
- Cook the residual water in gas on low flame stirring continuously.
- Once it becomes thick, switch off gas, allow to cool & add to the whole batter.
- Combine well & allow to ferment overnight.
- Next day morning refrigerate the batter for further use.
- The batter should be thick yet of pouring consistency.
- Need not wash fenugreek seeds before soaking.
- Soaking urad dhal for long duration induces a pungent odor in the batter; hence soaking it just an hour before the grinding process is more than enough.
- Reserve the soaked dhal water to add at intervals during the grinding process.
- Add more water ONLY if necessary during the grinding process.