Prep Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
- Toor dhal - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice (optional) - juice of half lemon (or) as reqd
- Salt - to taste
- Ghee - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder - pinch
- Broken red chillies - 1 to 2
- Curry leaves - few
- Cilantro (finely chopped) - 2 tsp
- Wash toor dhal well in water for about 2 to 3 times.
- Add water, turmeric powder & pressure cook for about 5 to 6 whistles.
- Give a standing time to the pressure cooker before opening the lid.
- Add salt to cooked dhal, mix well & mash piping hot dhal with the back of a ladle.
- Heat ghee in a tadka ladle, add mustard seeds & let it splutter.
- Add cumin seeds, broken red chillies & saute for few sec.
- Switch off gas; add a pinch of asafoetida powder, curry leaves and saute for few sec.
- Add the seasoning to the mashed dhal and mix well.
- Stir in lemon juice & garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with steamed rice & any other vegetable curry of your choice.