Soaking Time: 12 hrs
Fermentation Time: Overnight
Grinding Equipment: Indian Wet grinder
- Wash rice well in water about 5 to 6 times; drain; soak separately & leave it undisturbed for about 10 to 12 hrs (or the previous night)
- Soak fenugreek seeds separately in water for about 10 to 12 hrs (or the previous night); need not wash them in water.
- Wash urad dhal just once in water; drain; soak separately just two hours before you start to prepare for the grinding procedure.
- This is to prevent a foul odor in the batter due to the whole urad dhal being soaked for long hours.
- Drain water from urad dhal; reserve the drained water & set aside.
- Grind urad dhal to a smooth batter (for nearly 40 min) along with fenugreek seeds adding reserved water at regular intervals.
- Once done, transfer urad dhal batter to a container.
- Next rinse soaked rice well in water, drain & grind to a smooth batter (for nearly 40 min) adding enough water at regular intervals.
- Transfer rice batter to the urad dhal batter, add salt & mix well.
- Allow the batter to ferment for nearly 10 to 12 hrs or overnight.
- Once the fermentation process is over, beat the batter well with a ladle & combine well.
- Use the upper half of the batter to prepare Idlies; the lower half to prepare dosas.
- The upper part of the batter would consist of more urad dhal than the lower part; so the idlies appear more fluffy & spongy; where as the lower part would consist of more rice batter & hence can obtain crispier dosas.
- The quantity of urad dhal used for the batter depends on the quality & quantity of the rice used.