Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Serves: 3 to 4
- Brinjals (small sized) - 15 no's
- Curry leaves - 10 to 12
- Asafoetida bar - 2 small pebble sized pieces
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Thick tamarind extract - 3/4 cup
- Jaggery extract - 1 tbsp
- Water - 2cups
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Whole urad dhal - 2 tsp
- Bengal gram dhal - 1 tsp
- Toor dhal - 1 tsp
- Dhania - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies - 5 to 6
- Discard the stems of the brinjals; wash well in water & cut in to cubes.
- Transfer cubed brinjals in to salt water; keep aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients; cool; grind them to fine powder; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds & let it splutter.
- Add asafoetida & saute until light brown.
- Drain cubed brinjals, squeeze excess water; add them to hot oil.
- Add salt, curry leaves, turmeric powder & stir fry for about 3 to 5 min in high flame.
- Reduce flame to low; cover & cook for about 3 min.
- Open lid, combine & cook for another 3 min until well roasted.
- Add thick tamarind extract, ground powder, water, jaggery extract & stir well.
- Allow to boil for about 5 to 10 min until fairly thick.
- Serve hot with pongal, idlies & dosas.