Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
Serves: 3 to 4
- Raw rice - 1.5 cups
- Split yellow moong dhal (dry roasted) - 3/4 cup
- Whole black peppercorns - 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
- Ginger (crushed) - 1 inch piece
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 6 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin powder - 2 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10 to 15
- Cashew nuts - 2 tbsp
- Dry roast split yellow moong dhal until raw smell disappears; allow to cool.
- Wash rice well in water for about four to five times.
- Wash dry roasted split yellow moong dhal in water for about two times.
- Soak washed rice & dhal in water for about half an hour; set aside.
- Drain water & transfer contents to a wide mouthed vessel.
- Add whole black peppercorns, cumin seeds, crushed ginger, turmeric powder, salt along with six cups water; stir well.
- Pressure cook for about 6 whistles
- Give a standing time to the pressure cooker before opening the lid.
- Heat ghee in a tadka ladle; fry cashew nuts & keep aside.
- Add cumin powder, black pepper powder, curry leaves & saute for few sec.
- Add the seasoning to the pongal; garnish with fried cashew nuts.
- Serve hot with Gothsu & Coconut chutney or Sambhar & Coconut chutney.