Cooking Time: 15 min
- Red / Black eyed Cow peas (soaked overnight) - 1/4 cup
- Ash gourd (diced / cubed) - 2 cups
- Green chillies - 3
- Thick coconut milk - 1 cup
- Coconut oil - 2 tsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Vegetable Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Drain & wash cow peas; pressure cook with 3/4 cup water and a dash of salt for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Heat a cup of water in a kadai, add the diced ash gourd pieces, green chillies, salt; close with lid & cook for 5 min until soft.
- Add thick coconut milk, half cup water to the cooked ash gourd; stir well; close with lid & cook for another 3 min until fairly thick.
- Adjust salt according to taste; switch off gas.
- Add two tsp of coconut oil; combine & close with lid.
- Heat vegetable oil in a tadka ladle, add mustard seeds & let it splutter.
- Add asafoetida powder & curry leaves; saute for few sec, switch off gas.
- Add the seasoning to the curry and stir well gently.
- Close with lid, set aside for all the flavors to blend well.
- Can also add a tbsp of finely chopped pearl onions in the place of asafoetida powder.
- Mix 2 tsp of raw rice flour, 1/4 cup water without any lumps; add to the recipe & boil for few min to obtain a thick gravy.