Prep Time: 20 min
Serves: 4 to 5
- Ridge gourd peel (finely chopped) - 1.5 cup
- Thick tamarind extract - 1 to 2 tbsp
- Green chillies (broken) - 2
- Salt - to taste
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Whole urad dhal - 1.5 tbsp
- Bengal gram dhal - 1 tbsp
- Whole dry red chillies - 3
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Asafoetida powder - 1/2 tsp
- Heat a tsp of oil in a kadai, dry roast the ingredients one after the other; set aside to cool.
- In the same kadai, heat another tsp of oil, add finely chopped ridge gourd peels and stir fry on medium heat for 3 to 5 min; allow to cool.
- Initially grind the dry roasted ingredients to a fine powder.
- Now add green chillies, sauteed ridge gourd peels, tamarind extract, salt; grind to a slightly coarse paste adding quarter cup water.
- Heat half a tsp of oil in a tadka ladle, add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves, asafoetida powder and stir fry for few sec.
- Add the seasoning to the chutney & mix well.
- Serves best with idlies & dosas.
- Always use the small dry grinding jar of the mixie to prepare chutneys.