Prep Time: 15 min
Serves: 2 to 3
- Fresh grated coconut - 1 cup
- Asafoetida bar - 2 to 3 small pebble sized pieces
- Whole urad dhal - 3 tbsp
- Whole dry red chillies - 3
- Gingelly oil - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Heat a tsp of oil in a wok, deep fry the asafoetida pieces; set aside.
- Add whole urad dhal & stir fry constantly in medium flame until golden brown; take care not to char them.
- Add another tsp oil, add whole red chillies & stir fry for 2 to 3 min; set aside.
- Allow all ingredients to cool down before grinding.
- Transfer the cooled down ingredients to a mixie & grind to a fine powder.
- Add fresh grated coconut, salt & grind 3 to 4 times stirring at regular intervals to ensure even grinding.
- Serve with steamed rice along with a dash of gingelly oil.
- If you are using frozen grated coconut, thaw before use.