Prep Time: 15 min
Serves: 3 to 4
- Fresh / frozen coconut - 3/4 cup
- Roasted gram dhal - 1/4 cup
- Ginger (peeled, washed & chopped) - 1" piece
- Tamarind extract (optional) - 1 tbsp
- Green chillies (washed & broken) - 2
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Sesame oil - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Broken dry red chillies (optional) - 1 to 2
- Split urad dhal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Grind all ingredients to a smooth paste using a blender / mixie / food processor, adding water little by little at regular intervals.
- Heat oil in a tadka ladle on medium flame, add mustard seeds & let it splutter.
- Add split urad dhal, dry red chillies & saute for a min or two on low flame.
- Switch off gas, add curry leaves & saute for few sec.
- Add the seasoning to the chutney & mix well.
- Serve as a side dish along with idlies, dosas, pooris, upmas, chapathis, phulkas and rotis.