Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Serves: 2 to 3
- Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Onion (peeled, washed & sliced) - 1 large sized
- Potatoes (peeled, washed & cubed) - 2 medium sized
- Fresh / frozen green peas - 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil - 2 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 2 tsp + 1/2 tbsp
- Water - 1.75 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Bay leaves - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 1" stick
- Cardamom pods - 2
- Cloves - 2
- Tomato (washed & quartered) - 1 medium sized
- Coriander leaves (loosely packed) - 1.5 cups
- Sambhar powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Dhania powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Whole urad dhal - 1 tbsp
- Bengal gram dhal - 1 tbsp
- Dry roast the above mentioned ingredients separately; cool & grind to a fine powder; set aside.
- Soak coriander leaves (only the leaves) in two to three cups of water for about 10 min.
- Drain water & wash leaves for about 2 to 3 times in water; squeeze excess water; set aside.
- Soak basmati rice in water for half an hour; drain water.
- Wash rice well in water for about 3 to 4 times; drain water; set aside.
- Heat two teaspoons of ghee in a wok on medium flame for a min; add the whole spices; reduce flame to low & saute for a min or two.
- Add drained rice, cubed potatoes, green peas; saute for 2 to 3 min; set aside.
- Transfer sauteed rice to a vessel along with little salt, water & pressure cook on high flame for 2 whistles.
- Pressure cook rice on medium flame for 2 whistles.
- Pressure cook rice on low flame for a single whistle.
- Give a standing time to the pressure cooker (say for about 15 min) before opening the lid.
- Separate cooked rice using a fork & spread in a wide plate; discard all the whole spices; set aside to cool.
- Heat two teaspoons of vegetable oil in another pan, add sliced onions; saute for about 3 min on high flame until light brown; set aside.
- Grind all the above mentioned ingredients along with little salt to a smooth paste.
- Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil & half tablespoon of ghee in the same pan; add the ground paste & saute until oil separates.
- Add the cooled rice to the above sauteed paste along with the sauteed onions & combine well.
- Adjust salt according to taste.
- Add about a teaspoon of the finely ground dhal powder & combine well once again.
- Cover with lid & cook rice on low flame for about 2 min.
- Open lid, mix contents well, cover with lid & cook again for 2 min.
- Transfer aromatic coriander rice on to a casserole.
- Serve hot with onion raita, potato chips / pappad / vadaam or with any other raita, gravy of your choice.