Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Serves: 3 to 4
- Pearl onions (peeled & washed) - 1 cup
- Onion (peeled, washed & roughly chopped) - 1 medium sized
- Tomatoes (washed & roughly chopped) - 3 medium sized
- Thick tamarind extract - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Red chilly powder - 2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - 1 1/4 tsp
- Sugar (optional) - 1/2 tsp
- Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Grind onion to a smooth paste; set aside.
- Grind tomatoes to a smooth paste; set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a wok, add mustard seeds & let it splutter.
- Do not add the ground onion paste all of a sudden as it sizzles & splutters quickly.
- Switch off gas & wait for 3 min.
- Now add the ground onion paste followed by the tomato puree.
- Add tamarind extract, red chilly powder, kashmiri red chilly powder, cumin powder, salt, sugar and water.
- Mix well & allow to boil for about 20 min until fairly thick.
- Adjust salt, sour, hot and sweet taste as desired.
- Serve hot with idlies, dosas, chapathis, rotis and phulkas.