Prep Time: 20 to 25 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Serves: 3 to 4
- Tindora / Gherkins / Kovakkai - 1/4 kg
- Fresh / frozen grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Onion (finely sliced) - 1 large sized
- Garlic pods - 3 to 5
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar (optional but recommended) - 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Split urad dhal - 1 tsp
- Bengal gram dhal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
(Use them in two batches; for stir frying onions & gherkins)
- Sambhar powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Dhania powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
To wash gherkins
- Soak gherkins in water for about 15 min.
- Wash gently by rubbing with your fingers against them to get rid of the dirt, keeping them immersed in water.
- Discard water & wash for another two to three times following the same method.
- Drain water using a colander; set aside for about 5 min.
- Pat dry them in clean/dry towel.
- Trim both the edges & slice them in to thin rounds of even thickness.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a kadai on medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds & let it splutter.
- Add rest of the seasoning ingredients & saute for a min or two.
- Add half amount salt, sugar, sliced gherkins & stir fry in high flame for about 3 min.
- Close with lid & cook for about 5 to 7 min on low flame combining the contents at regular intervals.
- Add the first batch of the spice powders, combine well & saute in medium flame for 3 min.
- Cook uncovered in low flame for another 2 min.
- In between heat a tablespoon of oil in another pan, add the other half amount of the salt & sliced onions.
- Stir fry onions until golden brown; add second batch of spice powders; saute for 2 min.
- Add the sauteed onions, grated coconut, crushed garlic pods to the stir fried gherkins; saute in high flame for 3 min.
- Adjust salt according to taste.
- Switch off gas; transfer contents to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot with steamed rice along with any sambhar varieties of your choice.