Prep Time: 10 min (excluding soaking time)
Cooking Time: 20 min
- Chickpeas / Kabuli Chenna / Garbanzo beans - 1 cup
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Oil - to deep fry
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Aamchur powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chaat masala - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida powder - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Sugar (optional) - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight; wash & drain.
- Boil enough water with half the salt.
- Add drained chickpeas and cook for about 12-15 minutes till the peas are just done.
- Drain again and remove any excess water / moisture by patting between layers of kitchen napkin or using a clean towel.
- Heat oil in medium flame in a wok.
- Deep-fry in batches on low flame until crisp.
- Drain excess oil in kitchen tissues.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a wok; add all the seasoning ingredients; saute for few sec.
- Toss in the deep fried chickpeas & mix well.
- Serve with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
- While cooking, the chickpeas should not burst out of their skins; they ought to be firm.
- Well cooked firm chickpeas can be easily cut with a knife.
- Can also replace asafoetida powder with crushed garlic pods.
- Can store deep fried chickpeas in a dry, air tight container for more than a week.