Prep Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 15-20 mins (except soaking time)
- Basmati rice (Kohinoor - Platinum range) - 1 1/4 cups
- Whole green moong dhal (soaked overnight) - 4 tbsp
- Yellow split moong dhal (dry roasted) - 3 tbsp
- Water - 2.25 cups
- Onion (peeled & sliced) - 1 lagrge sized
- Green chillies (vertically slit) -1
- Ginger (crushed) - 1 inch piece
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Black peppercorns - 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 10 to 12
- Cardamoms - 3
- Cloves - 3
- Cinnamon stick - 1 inch piece
- Coriander leaves (chopped) - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Wash basmati rice well in water & soak for one hour.
- Wash dry roasted yellow moong dhal well in water & soak for an hour.
- Heat oil & ghee in a kadai / wok.
- Add mustard, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, curry leaves, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick and sauté.
- Add finely chopped onion, ginger, green chilly and sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Drain water from rice, dhal and add them to the sautéed onion and spices.
- To this add turmeric powder, salt, water & mix well (add more water if required mushy and soft).
- Transfer contents to a vessel & pressure cook for about 5 to 6 whistles in medium flame.
- Don’t rush to open the pressure cooker right away.
- Let it cool down for few minutes before releasing the pressure and then open the lid.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot immediately with Carrot Raita.
- Enjoy the wholesome meal!!!