Prep Time: 30 min
Soaking Time: 20 min
Drying Time: 1 to 2 hrs
Grinding Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
- Raw rice rava (Sona masoori ) - 1.5 cups
- Fresh grated coconut - 3/4 cup
- Water - 4 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Gingelly oil - 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Split urad dhal - 2 tsp
- Asafoetida powder - 1/2 tsp
- Broken dry red chillies - 4 to 5
- Curry leaves - few
- Soak raw rice in water for about twenty min.
- Wash well in water for about three to five times; drain water.
- Spread drained rice in a clean towel/cloth (under ceiling fan) & allow to dry.
- Leave it undisturbed until three fourth dry (not completely dry).
- Now grind rice in the small, dry grinding mixie jar to a rava/sooji like texture.
- Heat oil in a kadai/wok, add mustard seeds & let it splutter.
- Add split urad dhal, asafoetida powder, broken dry red chillies, salt, curry leaves & saute for a min or two.
- Add four cups water & allow to boil for about 3 min.
- Slowly add the rice rava stirring constantly; cover with lid & cook for 2 to 3 min.
- Open lid, stir and cook the mixture for about 3 to 4 min until fairly dry, devoid of excess water.
- Let the mixture become hot enough to shape them in to balls of desired shape & size.
- Steam cook the rice rava balls in batches either in an idly cooker or pressure cooker, each batch for about 10 min.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney & any sambhar of your choice.
- The rice rava should be completely dry if prepared in stock & stored for future use.