Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
- Black nightshade / Hound's berry / Duscle - 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Thick tamarind extract - 3/4 cup
- Thick jaggery extract - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Gingelly oil - 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Curry leaves - few
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida bar - 3 small pebble sized pieces
- Heat gingelly oil in wok, add mustard seeds; let it splutter.
- Add asafoetida pieces & fry until golden brown.
- Add blacknightshade, turmeric powder, curry leaves, salt & saute for a min or two.
- Add thick tamarind extract, water, jaggery extract, salt & allow to boil for 10 to 15 min until fairly thick.
- Serve with steamed rice along with a dash of gingelly oil or along with Thenga thogayal & Sutta kathirikkai thayir pachadi.